Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Feeling like giving up? Persevere, doggone it.

A part of me wants to give up on the things I'm doing and move on to the next stage of life.  It's a very small part and the other 96% of Joel Morgan won't let that part win.  I find that bothersome.  I don't know why I can't feel despondent or frustrated or down.  I want to, but I don't.  Rather, I feel like persevering.  I feel like finishing strong, even if I don't feel like doing all the work required to persevere.*

Monday morning, I read Job 1:21 in the Bible, which reads:  Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.  The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised.


I read it to give perspective to me before I interviewed for a job later that morning; I think of it now to remind myself to persevere.  No, I'm not Job.  Writing a thesis is not the same as losing one's entire family and fortune.  But it's a lesson that through all of life, good or bad, boring or exciting, may the name of the LORD be praised.  So, I'm going to Colossians 3:23 for the rest of this week and work hard.

Question/Answer
What's a struggle to persevere in right now?  Work, school, play?  Me - writing my thesis.



*I used "I" eight times in that paragraph.  I apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment