Wednesday, August 10, 2011

St. Paul of the Brazilian Variety

"Hola, disculpa... voce falla ingles?  No fallu portugues."*

That's pretty much how I started a bunch of conversations today - "Hello, excuse me, do you speak English?  I don't speak Portuguese."  A couple of friends and I have been walking around Mackenzie University in Sao Paolo, Brazil, talking to students, and trying to connect them** to a local group of Christians***.  I enjoy it - the Brazilians are really friendly and open for a conversation, even missing the first portion of class to talk.  It's great.

A list of the good stuff so far:

  • Beautiful Brazilians.  Duh
  • Rice and beans
  • Talking to people
  • Riding a crowded bus
  • Rice and beans
  • Renato, my first Brazilian friend
  • Chris, Melody, Rachel, and Michael Julian.  Superb people.
  • Chris Julian - I could listen to him for hours.  And he's not just a talker; he's a doer
  • Rice and beans
  • Dave Disselkamp
  • Talking to people
  • Living with missionaries and learning what it's like here in Sao Paolo.
  • Having a Brazilian friend tell me that he wants to live with and talk to Muslims too.  
It's not an exhaustive list, but a list nonetheless.  


Tchau.  Or "Belleza."  Or "Fallou."  Or "bye-bye."



*I really frackin' hate when Missionaries would come to a church and speak for 5 minutes in their language.  Really?  Good to know you've gone through language training.
**hopefully, Lord willing, someday
***Of the "We're living it abundantly" and "Jesus is good for all of us" variety.  Soooo, not the dorky kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment