Saturday, February 4, 2012

Where's Church?

I have an idea and am just going to write it out and see where this goes.  Please leave comments or give me a call because I want to discuss this further than I can take it.

So here's my thought process.  It is, admittedly, disjointed.

  • I don't like our church shopping culture.  If you don't like a particular church, just go down the road or to the next town and find a different one that fits your style.
  • I don't like the insular focus of contemporary church goers.  Try this: clasp your hands, fingers held inside your hands.  Point your two index fingers up into the air and put your thumbs in front of your hands.  Looks like a church, right?  I learned this as a child and heard a little rhyme that went like this "Here is the church, here's the steeple. Open the doors and see all the people."  Well, that's just like our churches today.  We are all inside.  We aren't outside, putting hands and feet to the gospel that we follow.
  • I think practicable expressions of our faith in Jesus are critical.  Read Luke 4:14-21.  Heck, read about how Jesus interacted with people.  Not sure we do this enough.
  • The church is a a local family of Jesus-followers who regularly meet for teaching, worship, confession/encouragement, evangelism, community service (feeding/clothing/loving poor and marginalized) and remembering Jesus' death and resurrection (communion). 
  • I've heard it said that for every 10 minutes we spend in commute to work (or church?), we are 10% less likely to commit to relationships to other people and thus, community service and evangelism.
  • We are more likely to interact and invest with people in our local communities.  At least, I am more likely to be invested in my own community because it is in my nature to reduce inefficiencies such as drive time and use that time to invest in people and relationships and conversations.
  • I think, and this is my idea, that church location is important.  I think that church location trumps such other considerations as worship style, minor theological differences*, preaching style, etc.  In my definition of church above, I stress "local, "family," and "community service."  Basically, the practicable expression of our love for Christ and others. 
  • Assumption: there is a church within the community one lives and works in.
  • Assumption: the local church(es) are Bible-teaching, Jesus loving communities.  The flavors might be different, but ice cream is ice cream.  
  • Assumption: the individual is self-sufficient or mature enough to pursue truth about God through personal and family Bible study and prayer.  This might be the biggest assumption.  Though, if one isn't mature enough in their faith, they won't really understand minor theological differences, right? I also assume within this that there are good non-pastor Christian leaders within each church community to come alongside young Christians and help them learn.
  • There is little difference between Methodist, Wesleyan, Baptist, Presbyterian, Reformed, Pentecostal, and other Protestant churches.  Honestly.  The differences are minor, usually, and I'm disappointed in how fractured the Church became post-Reformation. But one can attend any one of these churches and presumably hear the Gospel. I'm uncertain about Catholic or Orthodox churches because the differences between Protestant and those faith groups are much larger.
  • So, a what-if:  Say you live in a town of 8,000 and the church options are an old-person Baptist church, the liberal Lutheran church, the not-so-liberal Lutheran church, an Assembly of God church, a Wesleyan church plant but no Reformed based church and you are Reformed by background.  I would say it's more important and valuable to disregard one's theological differences and join a church that is in close proximity and offers opportunities to engage the local community.  
  • What if there are no exciting, rock based worship experiences in one's town?  Do you drive 30 minutes south to the cool, hip college student church? I would say no.  Put aside the desire for an exciting experience and worship with a different culture.
  • The local expression of Jesus' Body is vital.
Watchman Nee was a freaking sweet Chinese evangelist who believe that each town should only have one church.  He thought that geographic differences were the only grounds for having different church communities.  Super interesting.  

What do you think?  Travel to a church that fits you?  Or stay in town and fit a church that differs from your background?  Please ask some questions I'm not asking...




*I think minor theological difference include, but are not limited to: Calvinism vs Arminianism, gifts of the Holy Spirit, end-times, role of women in the church.  Feel free to discuss this.

9 comments:

  1. Lots of stuff. I love honest questions.

    I'm going to try to be very concise.
    Sometimes minor theological differences have significant consequences.
    Many who aren't mature in their faith understand minor theological differences.
    It's okay to be closer to some brothers and sisters than others, and it makes sense to spend more time with the family members you feel more solidarity with.
    A multitude of denominations, expressions, formats, and disagreements don't have to equal a fracturing of the family of God.
    Location is less important than intimacy.
    Care less about the denominations, minor theological issues, and the like. Who do you want to follow Jesus alongside?
    Some ice cream makes we want to throw up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeremiah,

      Thanks for your thoughts.

      I think intimacy can be and should be developed where ever one is, not necessarily but whom one is with.

      If we allow minor theological differences to draw distinct lines between us, then they can have serious consequences. If, however, we choose to care less about that stuff and care more about the individual, then we'll appreciate the function of mission over the form of mission.

      I think stand a little stronger and unified as a mission-minded group of Christians in our communities than as multiple groups divided by philosophy. This may be more attractive to non-Christians.

      Delete
  2. I agree that location trumps worship style, and that finding a church in local proximity that allows full participation is a high priority.

    The question on "minor theological differences" may be an issue, however. If you are a woman who believes she is called to preach and teach, role of women in the church can be a deal-breaker. If you are an Arminian, hearing Calvinist theology permeate every small group discussion can be grating, and prevent you from participating fully in the community. I guess my question is how much does the church emphasize these "minor theological differences," and does it do so to the point where these differences affect your ability to be part of the family?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel,
    I don't necessarily agree with everything in this post. However, I believe you are on to something that our generation is missing out on.

    We, our generation, need to get back to our local church. Church is not an event you travel to, it is a lifestyle lived with your neighbors.

    I love my local church. I love that we are passionate about making Waverly more like the Kingdom of Heaven. I love that my church is not full of 20-somethings only (I would love to see more of us), rather I worship with people of all ages and occupations, etc.

    The local church a pillar of our faith. I agree that we need to stop going to see the show and we need to get back to living together as the church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that I need to live in Minneapolis and not a suburb next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless you view your Northwestern-based life group as a local church, an extension of your larger church. Being a student is almost a different category; school and transportation there is important and sometimes difficult. Plus, I think you have a unique opportunity there.

      Delete
    2. I was just thinking about this yesterday. I think that it's a wise thing to say.

      Delete
  5. I like where you're headed. And I think in our culture, location is not considered as important as it really is. I think its incredibly important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All,

    I would love to see neighborhood-centered churches. It focuses one's mission to a specific group of people and geography. It may make cultural sensitivity and allocation of resources easier.

    ReplyDelete