Saturday, September 3, 2011

I miss Jesus


I think there are some really unfortunate section headings in my Bible.  One example is John 13-14. 

The scene:  The Last Supper
Importance:  Redefinition of the Passover feast in light of Jesus’ mission and impending death.

I call these “unfortunate section headings” because they disrupt the flow of some really important things Jesus is saying.  I’m going to rewrite this section as one continuous piece (with liberal use of paraphrasing).

Jesus: Guys, I’m only going to be with you a little bit longer.  I’m taking off and, just as I told everyone else, y’all will look for me, but won’t find me.  So, remember this:  love one another.  Just like I loved you, love one another.  People will see this and know that you follow me.

Pete: sir, where are you going?

Jesus: Where I’m going, you can’t follow right now, but you can follow me later.

Pete: Why not?  I’d give my life to follow you!

Jesus:  Really?  Before morning, you are going to tell people 3 times that you don’t even know me.

Jesus: Guys, don’t worry.  Trust God and trust me.  I’m going to my Father’s house to prepare a place for you.  You can’t follow now, but I’m coming back to so you can be with me again.  Besides, y’all know the way to where I’m going.

Tom: Really? We don’t even know where you are going, so how do we know how to get there?

Jesus: I’m the way, I’m the truth, and I’m the life.  No one can come to the Father except through me.  If you knew me, then you’d know the Father as well; you do know me and so you know the Father.

Phil: Just show us the Father and that’s good for us (I think the implied words are “you don’t have to go”)!

Jesus:  Don’t you get it?  You’ve seen the Father because you’ve seen me.  My words are from the Father (12:47-50); my miracles are from the Father (10:25-30); The Father and I are ONE (5:19-23)!

Reading these sections, I kinda feel the loss of a friend here.  Peter, Thomas, and Philip know Jesus is leaving.  The “why” and “where” is not readily apparent to them right now.  I can empathize with their friendship and loyalty.  I don’t know how to describe it, but I can feel their confusion.  And to be honest, the rest of Jesus’ words aren’t the most comforting to me.  I understand and believe why Jesus had to leave and go to the cross.  But I don’t like it.  I know the Holy Spirit [the Comforter] is here and that I am in the Father’s hand, but this passage makes me miss Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy the way you made this conversion seem more real. Many times when I read this I get into the "silly disciples" mindset. Thanks for helping me see the humanity of the disciples words.

    ReplyDelete