Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Jesus' comforting words

I'm still reading in John 14.  Jesus continues to talk to his friends after telling them he will be leaving.  This latest "I'll be leaving/dying" seems to finally hit home with his disciples and they are understandably shaken.

So Jesus comforts them with his words in John 14-16.  I don't about the disciples, but when someone says, "It's ok, I won't be around but this other person whom you've never met will be and that person will teach you.  Peace, brothers.  Don't be afraid," I don't feel all that comforted.  Since the disciples don't fully understand who is Jesus and why he is leaving, I think I can say with 67% confidence that at this point the disciples are not feeling comforted (check out 16:29-30 for their final "AHA!" moment).

Ok, so I'm not really comforted by Jesus' words right now.  I feel the loss of a friend.  Perhaps it is because I am leaving Minneapolis and leaving several close brothers.  These are guys I love and don't want to leave.  I've spent two years with some of these guys; walking, talking, encouraging, challenging, laughing, and crying.  And now I'm leaving.

Put yourself in the disciples' sandals; empathize with their loss of a friend.  I do.

I'm going to remember what Jesus said even if I can't feel at peace right now, "But the Counselor, The Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave you; my peace I give to you.  I do not give as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."



1 comment: