Saturday, September 10, 2011

Love is a verb


I love the combination of John 13:34, 14:23 and 2 Corinthians 5:14-15.  The idea of loving God and loving others (Jesus’ top two commands) has been the focus of my prayers and how I want to shape my life lately.  I think these are two very deep commands, but to think of them simply as “love” is important.

I don’t understand this love.  I don’t always know how to love God or love others.  I’m not pure or kind in my thoughts and not generous in my actions towards other people.  Yet, I read of Jesus’ love for us and am compelled to change.  It’s like being swept along a current, not against my will, but certainly the origin is not self-derived.  Jesus’ love motivates me, often to my surprise.

2 Corinthians 5:14-15 reads: “For Christ’s love compels us, because we are conviced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.”

In Jesus, we have hope in eternal life after death; assurance of righteousness before God; an invitation into sweet community with God; a motivator for others-focused living; and a friend and LORD.  All this comes from his love for us.  I know this love, but my knowledge of it is like a match that is almost burned out, flickering its last meager tongues of flame.  I want my knowledge and belief in Jesus’ love to be a roaring bonfire whose heat is so intense one can’t even look at it, but a fire that is so comforting that people can’t help but see and want to be a part of. 

Jesus’ love for us helps and motivates us to love God and love others.  The only way we go from a flickering, stuttering match to a roaring bonfire is by continuously reminding ourselves of God’s love for us (most strongly shown at the Cross) and reminding ourselves to respond to this love with love.

1 comment:

  1. Good word brother. Not a bad title either.
    -This is Patrick Russell Ray

    ReplyDelete