Sunday, December 4, 2011

Twenty-Five

Yesterday, I turned 25.  According to one coworker, he thought I was 16 and asked if I was going to pick up my license later that day; My pastor wished me a happy 19th birthday.  I get it; I look young.  But really guys?

I turned 16 during my sophomore year of high school and I didn't get my driver's license that day.  At 19, I was in my freshman year at Calvin College about to begin my first set of College finals.  It's hard to remember back that far and come up with specific details of what happened on my birthday those years.  I can guess that my parents gave me a gift or two and we went out to eat for dinner (family tradition on birthdays).  I do remember what I asked for as a Christmas gift both those years:  a .22 rifle.  It's been on my list ever since I got my BB gun.

Life is different at 25 than at 16 and 19.  Not only do I have my drivers license, but I have a full-time job and business cards as well.  I didn't just finish one semester's worth of finals, I finished 12 semesters and along the way, picked up a Master's Degree.  There is less saxophone and more guitar.  I'm single (this is the same as when I was 16 and 19.  It was good that I was single back then; now?  Who knows?).  I don't remember what I did for my 16th and 19th birthdays, but I spent a good portion of my 25th birthday painting walls at church.

Life is different and better now than at 16 or 19.  I think I know and love Jesus more now than then.  I have more friends now.

Just one last thought: 25 more years puts me at 50.  I bet I'll look like I'm 45 - minimal gray hairs, still slim and strong, and a full head of hair.  I'll look good, even it means looking like I'm 16 or 19 on my 25th birthday.


2 comments:

  1. And I'll still rock the faux-hawk, though maybe I'll turn it into a euro-hawk by then. I'd do it for the kids.

    ReplyDelete